Followers

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Transfer Eze Tutorial

I have been talkin' the talk but not walkin' the walk.  So, when I got a request on Monday from Cathy in Maryland asking if I was EVER (she didn't say ever...but was really sweet about it) going to post that tutorial on the Transfer Eze I decided to do it...Just Do It.  Heck, Oregon is Nike Central..we are all about Just Doing It!  I thought that one day when I figured out how to do a video I would do it but then I would need to convince Sandra Bullock or Jennifer Aniston to play the part of the Transfer Eze Queen!  


So here is what Transfer Eze looks like.  It comes in a 8 x 10 plastic bag with 10 sheets and is about $15.  Spendy I know but it is such a sweet product which keeps my disposition sweet!  Each sheet has a paper side and a fabric side which are stuck together.


I decided to demo using Kathy Schmitz's pattern Harvest Table because it is a UFO....and maybe could be my April UFO if I could just get it done.


You can use any kind of fabric with Transfer Eze so choosing your embroidery base fabric is totally up to your own taste.  I have used Sandcastle which is a pre-quilted heavy fabric by Moda.  You do not have to worry about seeing the cross over threads with this baby. But if you use Transfer Eze you are going to have to use a sharp embroidery needle and actually change your needle regularly...not like most quilters who use a needle till it qualifies as vintage!....You know who you are!  Another alternative is used by Karen at My Yellow Farmhouse.  I really like this one.  Fuse a light weight cloth interfacing to the back of your cotton and you won't see the cross over threads.  This is a lighter thickness than the sandcastle...but it all depends on the look you want.


once you have decided what fabrics you are going to use you can transfer your motif to the Transfer Eze.  Step one is to scan the motif to your computer to make sure it is centered and you have enough area around the motif.


My printer will scan to the computer so I can see what the motif will look like.


Place a sheet of the Transfer Eze into your paper feeder with the fabric side facing out and press print.


Since the Transfer Eze paper is slightly smaller than printer paper I put an ever so light pressure on the left corner to help it feed straight.


And out come the Transfer Eze! printed and ready to go!


Since I chose regular cotton for my embroidery I am going to back it with the fusible interfacing.  I am steaming the back side of the fabric to the bumpy side of the interfacing.


These motifs were small and two were printed on one sheet so I cut one motif.  As you can see in the photo the Transfer Eze must be separated from the paper backing  in order to stick to the fabric.  Peel your  motif totally away from the paper.


Center and stick it to the cotton and you are ready to stitch!  Once your stitching is done you run the piece under cold water and the Transfer Eze disappears!  Sweet!!!  This is wonderful for those complicated embroidery designs that would take hours to trace with a light box.  With larger designs you print in sections and then positioning the Transfer Eze onto the fabric until you have created the full design.

(This tutorial was dictated by Anna and typed by Sandra Bullock)

6 comments:

  1. Great tutorial! Sandra types very well :-)
    I like the tip about fusing fabric to hide the crossover stitches. I am a good way through my first project with Transfer Eze. I love that the lines will disappear when I'm done with it and not having to draw the design out in the first place was time saving and motivating to get started.
    Love that little beehive from Kathy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just remembered that I wanted to ask you....do you use an embroidery hoop when you stitch? inquiring minds want to know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of being able to print and use and also something that is iron on, especially for thick or wool projects.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. The price of the Transfer Eze is pretty high, but it does look like a nice time saver. I've been using FormFlex on the back of embroidery fabric that is thin or light colored in order to hide the cross-over threads in the back. It comes on a bolt at my LQS, but I was unhappy about how much a good sized project's worth of it would cost. Thanks for the tip to use a fusible fabric interfacing, which might be cheaper.

    Is this a UFO or a USO (UnStarted Object)? Nice project for UFO-April, Sandra!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna...Thank you so much for the tutorial! I really appreciate you taking the time to do it. Not only do you wonderful bloggers invite us into your daily lives and your beautiful projects but you provide so much information and help for those of us who aren't lucky enough to be part of a group or local quilt shop. Thank you again....I can't wait to try it out!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Transfer Eze is a GREAT product. It is kind of pricey though. Here's a tip to get the most for your dollar (or $15!) If you going to stitch some small things take copies of your patterns and cut them out. Arrange them on a piece of 8 1/2" X 11" paper and tape them in place. Use this as your original to copy your patterns onto the Transfer Eze -- no more wasting a whole sheet for a small project!

    ReplyDelete