Tuesday, January 12, 2021
Thoughts for "Today"
I have to say I am really going to miss this place! It was such a window on the world that we didn't even have a TV here. The view of real life was complex and amazing.
This next phase is going to be exciting, interesting and in reality we have no choice...life does keep marching on.
G and I had a conversation of how our adult lives are segmented into experiences and that what we are entering now is just another segment.
There was the...
1. newly married segment: adjusting to living and compromising with another adult
2. children segment: learning to be a person who is totally responsible for another human being
3. the scariest period was the turning over your child to another adult...ie daycare, preschool, school. It is during this period you have got to believe in the power of your own gut.
4. Kids are more interested in stuff outside the home...now what do you do? Who are you...oh yeah, I have a partner and you dive into hobbies.
5. during those later school years, life is a blur of activities...trying to allow your kids to have experiences but at the same time feeling protective.
6. High school is a huge transition for us all...freedom, lots of prayers...and oh yeah, I have a partner...let's start dating again.
7. Kids leave home for college...lots of prayer and...lots of dating cause now it is the 2 of you and hey, you go away on weekend trips without worrying.
8. Kids marry and are starting on their own paths...you retire and start traveling! Eating out, meeting others for happy hours and camping...try a cruise or 2...a really sweet spot.
9. your kids have kids and you start feeling the tug to be more present.
10. A pandemic happens and the isolation affirms the want to be together with family...this new segment is going to be a fantastic period. With all the loss that G and I have had throughout our entire lives we have never been more ok...because hey, we have a partner and that is a huge blessing.