Thursday, July 27, 2017

Unplugged

This is the perfect way to start the blog day...with a fascinating book review! About unplugging.  Since I am out in the boonies, relaxing, reading, hiking, stitching and sewing I had to write this blog post ahead of time because we have limited service to upload.  Sometimes I can post a photo or text but pretty much limited otherwise.  This book was an EYE OPENER...especially for the youth of our world.  But, let me tell you it also made me look at how I live my life.  I have friends who are totally plugged into their phones...it is a life line for them.  And, me...I am somewhere in the middle.  I limit my time on the internet and yes sometimes I miss postings on Instagram and Facebook.  But actually living my life is more important.  Balancing the social media world and living ones life takes a conscious intention.  So when my friend Leslie suggested we turn our phones off when we stitch together I was all for it...someone has to spark the movement! LOL  It is the most rewarding for me to actually meet some of our followers in person...putting a personality to a comment.  Great book...add it to your list!


One of my stitch groups started a challenge BOM in 2016 of Yoko Saito's Floral Bouquet but in wool and it is an amazing quilt...some of us are still working on it...We all were challenged by the border and are changing it up...the original border had 4 baskets, some on their sides and one upside down...not working for us.  Please click on the photo to enlarge because Linda created they more spectacular border...and yet...


...I love the simplicity of Kim's border treatment!  You have to enlarge the photo to see how wonderful the long arm quilter enhanced this beautiful quilt.


It just goes to show that no one is the boss of you and your creation...and we all don't fit in the same quilt square!!

Belknap Hotsprings is wonderful 
and it is just was the doctor ordered...
relaxation and stitching.

7 comments:

  1. I definitely hear you about being a "techie" in the world today. I'm 70 and worked in the corporate world most of my adult life. Computers were just getting started and I was fascinated with them and loved working with them. I retired in '08 and love my computer for many reasons (mainly shopping when I need something) and keeping touch via FB. As far as my cell phone goes...I usually forget to take it with me if I'm going somewhere. I've always hated talking on the phone so it's a mystery to me why people are on their phones from morning 'til night. I'm a dinosaur in this day and age...and really don't care. My life growing up was much more fun than kids now that only text, play games, and whatever else they do on their phones. I'm glad I lived in my era :) I prefer sewing to anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed when I saw you blog title as I immediately thought...But she's got her Featherweight sewing machine with her on her trip. Being the daughter of an electrician I always think of the traditional plug mot the wireless ones.

    Yes the art of conversation has certainly turned a corner. I'm so sad when I see families out for dinner and everyone including children have heads bowed over phones and tablets. Or the children are ignored as mom or dad is too wrapped up in what's on the screen.

    Enjoy your time in the woods and enjoying nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get what you mean about being unplugged, but its really hard for me to do that. When I do, I find myself refreshed, so there is a reward in store for me when I do unplug. By the way, I think those Floral Bouquet quilts are beautiful. I would really like to make one. Enjoy the peace of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Yoko's quilts and I do have a book with a dog quilt, might just do it someday. Love those quilts, both beautiful in different ways.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when I see someone put their own personal touches on a project. Kim's quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got up once to leave lunch with a couple of"friends" they where so busy talking on their phones, I felt there was a good chance they would not miss me from the table.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Relaxing and stitching....AHHHHHH....sounds wonderful!! The quilt is lovely as a whole; as is each block also. I would love to do it; but have done very little on the Primitive Garden BOM that I purchased way back in 2008. Shame on me! I am good with the phone, but do spend too much time on this computer when I could be more constructive. Enjoy your time!!

    ReplyDelete