Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Final Challenge 2016 + Announcements


For those who celebrate, wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving.  Don't forget tomorrow's post on The Quilt Show Daily Blog Anna & G On The Road.  We will be on blog holiday until November 29th.  Exciting times ahead, Stacy West aka Buttermilk Basin is coming to play in Portland! And, for those of you who have been a Woolie reader for a while...drum roll...the 12 Days of Christmas Give Away starts on Dec. 1st!!!  Remember you can only qualify for the give aways if you are a registered follower of the Woolie Mammoth

Quote of the Day

 This is your one life...make it memorable

This past weekend I was having some up and down moments and had an overwhelming desire to feel some control over my world.  Now...think about it...how does a quilters gain control over their world?  They organized their stash! OMG...OMG...here is the disclaimer (not in tiny writing) DO NOT do this unless you can live with chaos for several days.  And so, I challenge you for one final 2016 challenge to reorganize your stash.  I am not kidding you...I felt like I was possessed by all the quilter's who have gone to that great sewing room in the sky and left behind a mess.

I use a 8 x 6 inch ruler to wrap all my fabric, folding it first selvage to selvage and then in half again so I can wrap it around the ruler.  I pull the ruler out and then use my iron to flatten it a bit...like getting air out of a plastic bag.  I then moved it around creating different stack criteria.  This is when I found out I had a full stack of border fabric, Halloween, dots and stripes!  I also made separate stacks for my Asian themed fabrics.  Otherwise I kept to the color wheel format.  I looked through all my bins, reorganized them...getting reacquainted with my kits and fabric bundles.

What this did for me was make me fall in love with what I have...wonder why I bought something and ignited a quilting fire within me!  I got rid of a nice pile of "what the he**" fabrics.  And, am now a born again quilter.  I strongly encourage you before the end of the year to immerse and touch each piece of fabric you own and 2017 will be our year!!!

I just want to go stand in this closet and feel smug!!! LOL


Fabrics are stashed by color way except for Asian prints, dots, stripes, border prints and Halloween.  Milk crates hold wool by color way and kits.  To the right are project boxes and 2 wire baskets of Civil War fabrics.  Batting on the top shelf along with rolls of fusible and bolt of muslin, SF 101 and black Kona.

Getting off my soap box and on to other things!!!  HH and I went to see the new JK Rowling movie and I have to give it a "C"  Not as exciting or engaging as the Harry Potter series.  Granted our expectations are high...but, this fell below the mark even with all the great actors.


Enjoy the last few days of November and we'll see you back here on Nov. 29th!  See you on Instagram and Facebook :)

13 comments:

  1. Wow! Great job on reorganizing your stash! I would be standing in the doorway so pleased with myself too. Also, thanks for describing how you fold your fabric - I'm going to give it a go this afternoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your closet looks great. When I do take the time to clean and organize my room I am loathe to "mess" it up again with projects for a couple of days. But then I am happy in my creative chaos soon after.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have my stash organized like you do. Love using the ruler to fold and stack. I use a 6x24 and span it from selvage to fold, "roll" it up then pull the ruler out and fold it in half. Works the same, just a different ruler and fits in my shelves perfectly. I primarily use 1/2 yard or larger. Smaller pieces go in totes according to color. Now my wool - kind of scary and not as well organized. You have energized me to get that figured out. I need a better system! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Anna and family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on getting your reorganization done so quickly! Mine is spread out and would/will take much longer as I am addicted to fabric!

    Have a wonderful time in Potland and enjoy your visit with Stacy, is she teaching while there or just a visit? Safe journeys forth and back home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I applaud you for a job well done. Your closest looks Awesome !!! It feels good doesn't it :-D

    Have fun in Portland and wishing you a Very Happy Thanksgiving !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to re-strategize my sewing room as to shelving and totes for fabrics, kits, scraps, batting. Then I have to figure out the best way to organize notions, rulers, threads, etc.. Seems overwhelming. How do you store your non-fabric stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too, have just gone through my stash. Every year I host our family in my studio for Thanksgiving dinner. I can set up 3 tables and a buffet down there. The drawback is that room needs to be all put away. No small task as we all know. Anyway, the last thing I do is to take down the stash from the shelves, cull and refold. It always sets me right and gets me ready for the big after Thanksgiving sewing marathon. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can only wish my closet was big enough to have a shelving system like yours. As it is there are bins in every possible corner, under tables, the 301 sewing cabinet, the guest room bed, you name it! But I still "sorta" know where most things are, most of the time, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job organizing! And lucky you having Stacy West come to your area! Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome reorganization...I did mine this year also...and it took me weeks. Because I prewashed, pressed and folded every piece:P...wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving ....from Canada 😊

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW that looks really great!!! This is is what I need to do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that must have feel great to have it all reorganized, looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I had a closet like that, lol. Mine is a mess again and my plan is to put away what i am not using now and then I can see the things I want to work on and start quilting this winter. Have a wonderful day tomorrow.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete