Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Creativity

I have never thought of myself as a creative person.  I love patterns, kits and books that show me how to construct quilts. But, creative...? Have you considered yourself creative?  I was listening to a TED talk, a Podcast which is a non profit devoted to ideas worth spreading (Technology, Entertainment & Design)  I was struck by the message that was conveyed...We don't grow into creativity...we grow out of creativity.  All kids are born creative but we educate it out of them.  I realize that I may not be a Hollis Chantelain or a Jenny Bowker but in my own way I am recapturing the creativity that I left behind.


During the TED talk they told the story of a group of school children that were given an art assignment to draw.  When the teacher asked one little girl what she was drawing...she replied God.  The teacher said, "no one knows what God looks like!"  The little girl replied, "They will in a minute!"  We need to recapture the belief in ourselves.

I was relieved to hear that one of my mug rugs reached Sweden :)  I love the idea that we can connect to each other with fabric!


Today, I head to Sew Many Quilts to spend time with a whole group of creative people and maybe,
 I will be infected with some of that!
Have a wonderful Day!

5 comments:

  1. Love that check list for creative people! My kindergarten and school principal tagged me at a very early age with the first item.

    Love that there is a camera at the bottom.

    Have a wonderfully creative day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the sweetest quote! and true...God likes to shine through His people and I bet especially through that little girl!
    Have a wonderful day stitching :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so important that we try to not take creativity away from our children ( and with our I mean all)! What a wonderful story! Thanks for my sweet mug rug! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a cute story, and yes, we tend to be creative and then people tell us it isn't right. Good thing I never l listen to anyone;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the quote! I think all of those describe me, esp. coloring out side the lines, and number 9, think red hat lady attitude in jeans and tennis shoes :)
    I love the mug rug!

    ReplyDelete