Friday, September 4, 2015

TGIF

 I don't know but when I saw this...I totally cracked up.  I think I might have felt like this at one time. But, since I have become the "Queen of UFO's" it seems I barely have a moment between projects, LOL.  My plan in the next few months is to focus on UFO's.  No new challenges...just challenging myself to finish those quilts that I loved enough to begin.


The core of quilting is not the fabric...it is the sharing.  And yesterday I participated in a time honored tradition of passing on the love of quilting to my DIL.  She had set a task of creating a baby quilt for a friend.  Last week we talked the basics of quilting and the fabric choices.  Yesterday was cutting, introduction to the sewing machine and actual piecing.  I was surprised at the challenge of teaching a beginning quilt lesson...why you ask?...I realized that over time I have developed so many short cuts and leaps of faith in my quilting.  Remembering the correct way to quilt...well, it was difficult, LOL.  

Oh, and I found out AGAIN...that you are supposed to read all the instructions...which meant a lesson in the use of the seam ripper!  She was a real trooper.  And if you check out my Instagram you will see her in action :)



I am so proud of her!  She chose the fabric, cut out the pieces and sewed them together into an adorable baby quilt.  In a couple of day we move on to layering and quilting.  


Today I get to play with my sister and then off to QuiltWorks for the First Friday Gallery show.  Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend and I'll see you back here on Tuesday!

8 comments:

  1. I loved seeing the expression on her face when she realized your were video recording her. Congrats on her first top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There really is a lot to learn, especially starting from the beginning! So much fun to see someone else get the quilting bug.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy being the toast of the town tonight! Congratulations! Loved the picture of Enzo with your cool chocolate topper! He does a very good Vanna impression!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! She is a natural!! Lovely quilt and her friend and baby will be thrilled!! Isn't wonderful to have a shared interest...besides your son, that is!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her quilt came out beautifully and you are a good teacher. I just do things, have no idea how to explain them;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your show! Wish I could see it in person - have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you come to my house and show me how to layer a quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish to thank you so much for your blog. I have not really done any quilting or even stepped into my sewing room much in the last year or so since my mother passed. I have been looking for something to kick me in the butt and reading over the posts from the last month on your blog have inspired me. Quilting was a large part of my life and I have really been missing it as much as I miss my mother, I guess I have always equated the two together in my mind and heart. I can't do some something about the one but I can about the other.

    ReplyDelete