Monday, April 13, 2015

A Quilter Lives At Parsonage Winery!

Since we were attending Empty Spools and both the seminar and Mary Ellen reside in Monterey County...we had to add a visit with Mary Ellen to our itinerary.  Mary Ellen is a quilter and a vintner. I say quilter, in a way like...she is a quilter like me...NOT.  She is an artist!  She and her husband grow grapes, create wine at the Parsonage Winery, where HH and I became wine club members.  Becoming friends with Mary Ellen was easy...just follow the dots...like in those dot to dot pages you did as a kid.  I traveled to Monterey/Carmel for a business meeting...stopped at Back Porch Fabrics...met Jeanne of Jeanne Mills Tours...went to Patchwork ~ Europe...where Mary Ellen was Jeanne's travel assistant.  You see, if a quilter keeps her eyes open there are other amazing quilters all around her!!! LOL

The setting of Mary Ellen's quilt life is perfection.  The Carmel Valley is like a bit of heaven.  When I was a kid my dad used to take us on Sundays to the Thunderbird Bookstore, which was in a renovated barn.  We would spend the entire day enjoying books in the sun. 


The Parsonage Winery is a boutique winery with it's own tasting room in the Village.  They have won numerous tasting awards.  I love when the wine club shipment arrives in Sisters :)  How so you mix a quilter and a vintner ...well, photos of some of Mary Ellen's quilts are printed onto the labels...and, the reserve wines are named after her grandsons :)


Each time I am in Mary Ellen's presence I come away with a piece of wisdom.  My current state of quilting existence is to make mental lists of what I NEED to accomplish...what my GOALS are...and sometimes...I walk into my sewing room and feel stress from all the projects.  Mary Ellen's sewing room is a sanctuary.  She enjoys the process...however long it takes.  She doesn't take short cuts to just get it over with.  She will work, cutting out fabric laying it out on a design wall and then if she is not satisfied she'll take it down and start over!!!  So, tell me what kind of quilter are you???  I always feel at peace when I leave Mary Ellen's quilting life and I think I want to readjust my view of my quilting life...what was my 2015 word of the year???  Oh yeah, RELEASE!!!  Enjoy the slide show!

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Customize a slideshow design

9 comments:

  1. I love trying different things; I'm like a crow with shiney objects. Right now it is wool appliqué and making sewing cases or bionic gear bags.

    Thanks for another lovely show and tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible show, such a stunning textile artist! Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is a true artist ! Each piece just Gorgeous !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! Amazing show...and what a stunning view!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Ellen's works show the influence of her travels with wonderful detail work. She is truly talented and skilled. I love her environment...how enriched her life is by her surroundings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Mary Ellen's work--she is an artist with her needle! I, on the other hand, am a magpie who wants to do it all and do it all nowww! I love most of the parts of making quilts--the planning, the cutting out, the sewing, the finishing, well, that part's harder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Took my breath away..myths, loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so mourn the Thunderbird......as an adult, it was such a treat to browse.....eat lunch....browse and buy! And their sandwiches were sooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so mourn the Thunderbird......as an adult, it was such a treat to browse.....eat lunch....browse and buy! And their sandwiches were sooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete