Monday, February 16, 2015

Honey, I'm Home!!!

Every once in a while it is required to take a break from one's life.  It allows you to reflect on the pluses and minuses of what you have created.  I sometimes feel like I am a chubby little hamster running on my wheel...never looking left or right but full steam ahead.  To actually lay in one spot for an extended period of time...enjoying a good book, stitching...soaking up the sun is totally a new experience.  To feel that deep warmth that soaks to the soul, wow.  I believe we will enjoy this type of break again.  HH and I are polar opposites when it comes to traveling.  When I take a vacation it has a full schedule and I try to fit in as many new experiences as I can...while HH wants time to enjoy his spot and capture the moment.  This was his type of vacation...and you know what...I think I need this type of break also...there is something to be found in the peace.


I took only one Sashiko project with me and found myself excited all over again for this handwork.  I would venture to guess that 75% of my projects involve some form of handwork...which must be my form of meditation.  I am not sure what I will do with this piece but I know it will be part of something special.


For those of you who aren't part of the Instagram community I shared that it totally cracked me up that I have been searching high and low for the Winter 2014 issue of Simply Vintage...and where do I find it??? On Maui!!  Maui...where there isn't one piece of wool...where the word Primitive is more synonymous with Mumus.  But, it just goes to show you that the world is an interesting place with lots of wondrous mysteries.


Over the course of this week I will share some photos from Maui but first how about a Quilt Shop!  There are a couple of quilt shops but this one had the most to offer.  The shop of course had lots of Hawaiian prints and batiks...but there was novelty fabrics and some modern themed bolts.  Hawaiian applique and Sashiko was a popular choice.  They were very friendly and the shop had a steady stream of quilters.  


Enjoy the slide show...I missed the blog and you!  I am glad to be home!

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Customize a slideshow design

9 comments:

  1. I can so relate to that woman making decisions!! hahah I think we all can! Thanks for sharing...I enjoyed that! So glad you finally got your Simply Vintage!! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved visiting The Maui Quilt Shop I was amazed with home much they manage to pack into that little shop. And so much variety and they are so lovely and helpful.

    Your sashiko piece is lovely.

    Thanks for sharing your vacation photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you found it, and I was thinking the best place to find one is a store where others might not buy it;) I love the pineapple quilt and the pineapples, those would be fun to make.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should have brought one of the stuffed pineapples home to remind yourself to slow down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna, your sashiko is very beautiful. So glad that you had a great vacation. That is very funny about finding the quilting book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently finished my first Sashiko project and love doing it. I am stumped though at what to do with it? I thought of a type of pillow - that never was actually used - but I have cats and on the navy material....!! Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is so neat that you found the magazine where you didn't expect too. I want to go to Hawaii one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always shop at the Maui Quilt Shop when we go to Maui. My last trip I picked up a pattern for a baby blanket with baby turtles on it (their heads, feet and tail are loose). When we got home we found out that our first grandchild was on th the way. Now I have to find time to mKe it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anna can you explain to me how Sashiko is different from embroidery (running stitch)? I certainly love the look of Sashiko but it just looks like a running stitch to me. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete