Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Woolie ~ Non-Wool Challenge

phewwww...I am back in the saddle again!!!  I ventured out to stitch with the Woolies...the first time in over a week I have sat and stitched with girlfriends!!!  Girlfriends are a true blessing life...not only catching up on all the news but having Lori figure out what I did wrong on my knitting! LOL


We had not see each other since before Christmas when we formulated the 2015 Challenge for the group.  I fell in love with a quilt in the #103 issue of Quiltmania and presented to the group an opportunity for each to create our own quilt using the same pattern.


The quilt is simple to construct but has a powerful presence with a 100 one inch squares in each block!  It is all strip pieced and takes about 1 hour per block.

These are my blocks.  We had a schedule of 4 blocks a month but since I will be incognito for a couple of weeks in February I decided to make both January and February's blocks.  I have chosen a red palette.


now...Marilyn, did not read the directions and so constructed her first  block by piecing each square...cursing me the entire time.  Then...duh...read the instructions and subsequently made 15 blocks.


Mary R. the overachiever made 18 blocks and total equivalant of 4.5 months worth of blocks.


Blogless Sandy is using a fat quarter pack which means her quilt will be bigger than all of our!


Nancy finished 3 blocks with a nice homespun look


...and finally Lori is making hers with a nice Batik look.


Anne of Cottons n' Wool had the flu and was not able to think about sewing so will be catching up and a few of our other Woolies will be jumping on board.  Come join us in the fun!!!  I will be sharing what the Woolies and I have been working on this last few weeks over the next couple of days :)

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you all on your great start.

    I love how you all have your own theme to the blocks, be it a colour, background colour or style of fabric.

    I do like your over achervievor theme

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot of blocks, but love seeing all of the blocks in different colors and fabrics.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! I can't wait to see all those quilts put together. it certainly is an amazing looking quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great sewing there ladies. I would be interested in learning how you put the blocks together. Did you sew strips? What method did you use? I LoVe all the different colors you have chosen too. The finish will be gorgeous!
    Hugs Marg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LoVe the one you spoke about in the 103 series too. I made one similar for my Granddaughter for Christmas and used the Disappearing Nine Patch method. Worked up very well. I was pleased.
    Take care. I so LoVe reading your posts.
    Hugs Marg.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool! Fun! Looks easy so everyone will be able to keep up...The red and white/cream blocks really pop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to try this too - what is the size of the strips, blocks, etc? Would you please repeat the directions in one of you blogs.......thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, of course it was in an issue of Quiltmania that I missed due to my back problems--luckily I found it on ebay! Not that I need another project... but it might look good in my leftover 30s prints, no? Though Ihave to say I'm ready for a change...You're a bad influence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I jump in a join this too?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That's a lot of squares! Love to see how different fabrics look with the same pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all of the different blocks - so fun to see what everyone chooses!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my!! they ALL look wonderful!! I will be cheering from the sidelines!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The last few years I have wanted to make a red and white quilt..... this may be the time to jump! then again, the fat quarter bundle approach has a lot of merit... have not been in my sewing room in weeks.... I think it is time....

    ReplyDelete