Thursday, August 28, 2014

Reets' Rags To Stitches

Reets is in my top 5 favorite wool designers.  My favorite WOOL designers include a long and expensive list, lol...but, she is a sweet and lovely person who definitely in the top 5!  Her designs are unique and the colors are wonderful.  Dyeing wool is a art all by itself and the colors that she achieves are just so yummy.

Reets in her booth at Quilt Knit Stitch

I would be hard pressed to figure out a design category to place her in...so I have decided that there are 3 categories of Wool designs, Primitive, Modern and 
Reets, lol

Remember in the Vendor slide show I told you to that Santa pillow would be a future blog...

Well,  I finished mine!!! and I love it!  The motif stitching was a piece of cake...wonderful design, beautiful wool (out of my stash :) and I decided to take out the ribbon and add snowflakes.  I used a little of my Clinque blush on Kris Kringle.

Putting the pillow together...well that was another event altogether!  I chose some woolie flannel for the back but knew that it would have a hard time standing up to the heavier wool.  So, I decided to take all the little pieces of Pellon SF 101 and fuse them to the back side.  Perfect use of all those pieces I had saved :)

Not being an experienced pillow creator I placed wrongs sides together and sewed all the way around leaving about a 6 inch opening at the bottom in which to stuff my pillow form through with the intention of hand stitching it closed.  Well...it wouldn't fit.  I rolled it up, practically sat on it to keep it tightly rolled...but, who would have thought that a 12 inch pillow form would be stronger than a mature quilter!!!  Then I noticed a zipper in one end of the pillow form and realized that someone in China probably on an assembly line said,
 "绗缝机在美国是不会知道怎么去枕这个枕头的形式...把拉链英寸"

rough translation, "hey, quilter in United States is not going to know how to get this pillow form to fit in pillow, put zipper in." And so I unstuffed the pillow form, put a zippered bag in the pillow, restuffed, closed the zipper and stitching it closed. I could have just bought a bag of stuffing and stuffed the pillow. While doing this I swear I could hear someone laughing on the otherside of the world!



Anyhoo, the pillow is done...I love it and I have one more piece of stitchery ready for my holiday deocrating!



10 comments:

  1. Ahhhhdorable!! Love the French knots around his forehead!! Sew stinkin' cute!!! And I agree...love Reets ...they had a booth this year at Road to CA and LOVED IT!! I sure hope they go back next year! I have a certain Santa pattern I want to pick up!! Thanks for that...haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the category that Reets fits into is Whimsical! I love her designs. I have several but need to find them and stitch them up.

    Love your inventiveness to make the pillow form fit. You did a lovely job of it.

    I love how you get Enzo to be a prop for displaying your quilt and craft items..he must love you a lot to be so patient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the baby quilt on the wall and love how your pillow came out.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Reets too! What a funny story about getting your pillow made. It was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I truly LOVE your pillow. Wonderful face too. I think ya outdone me !!
    What an honor to see that pillow posed next to Enzo . . i am a huge Enzo fan.
    And thank you for the many kind words . . warmed and inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful pillow--so pretty and perfect for the holidays. Your pillow stuffing story--priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally love the pillow, and you know I love seeing Enzo enjoying it. You are enticing me to try this woolie style!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I've ever seen a Reets design before but you can bet I'm going to look for this pattern! Blessings, Marlene

    ReplyDelete