Friday, May 23, 2014

Self Care...


Yesterday due to a scheduling dilemma I had a full day off "self care."  Starting with a facial and haircut and ending  with a massage.  It was 4 hours of "self care."  During this period of time my mind was free floating...sometimes I would fall asleep and sometimes I would be thinking...Why is it that when some one speaks of self care you can feel some judgement arising in others.   As if self care is indulgent or you are spoiling yourself. When we take the time to care for ourselves we begin to live a caring life and our family and friends benefit.  Although yesterday was a spendy self care day I decided that I am going to start thinking in terms of self care...what can I do to take care of myself?  What fills my well and what drains it?  Who is my life adds energy and who saps energy.  

I have made a beginning list of things that I consider "self care" behaviors...
  1. putting on facial cream EVERY night!
  2.  Making time for quiet sewing
  3.  at least one day a week with nothing scheduled
  4.  Keeping and making time for friends.
  5.  date night at least once a week
  6.  walking or riding my bike around town.

It is just a beginning and as you can see self care doesn't always mean spending money.  It is about giving yourself the best of yourself so that you can be totally present for your family and friends.  I hope this weekend you will make a self care commitment!

No movie review this week but I did finish a book.  The Dog Star by Peter Heller.  This book was the Deschutes County Library Novel Idea book for 2014.  After hearing all the local negative talk about the Post-Apocalyptic story of 2 men living on an abandoned airstrip I had decided life is too short to read a "downer" book (I do have to admit I loved "The Road" which was Post-Apocalyptic).  But, after seeing the Novel Idea Quilts based on the book that hung in the QuiltWorks Gallery I decided to give it a go.  I am glad I did.  I enjoyed the read.  The writing style was very different and would drive some crazy but I found it unique.  The story kept me hook in and I have spent a fair amount of time thinking about what I am reading...which means the book hooked me.  So, I leave it up to you...me, I am glad I read it. 


As you head into the holiday weekend...repeat after me...
I LOVE ME!  
It is the beginning to a wonderful life!  See ya on Monday!

10 comments:

  1. Very wise advice.. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing a great job. Giving good look for yourself! Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Self care is just part of our health care, our minds are just as important and a good attitude and stress rest is the best way to rejuvenate ourselves.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do well, have a wonderful week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If we don't take care of ourselves, it becomes very hard to care for others. You have a good list going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If we don't take care of ourselves, it is very hard to take care of others! I think you have a good list started.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny, in an odd sort of way...This week I thought about what I could do for others. I am a frequent blood donor but sometimes let months (more than the usual 3) go by without giving, so today I went to the blood bank and gave. I am going to commit to remembering to do this as frequently as my body will let me! The other thing I decided to do was volunteer to help with "Days for Girls". It is an organization that provides sanitary supplies for young girls, in 60 countries, who do not attend school during menses but stay at home...losing out on education. This makes me feel good! OK, maybe I'll try and have a massage after my next haircut too!!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh we must learn to be comfortable with self care - it is so important. I was just looking at my nails and thinking I must begin getting manicures - I just don't do it well on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm terrible about stopping to do a little "self care." You are so right...we all need to take more time to say, "I love me." Great post and I'm glad you had a restful day that was all about you. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amen to taking care of one's self!!! No explanation needed.

    ReplyDelete