Friday, April 18, 2014

Feel like quilting this later? Study explains why...

I am taking liberties with an article I read in the paper by Melissa Healy of the Los Angeles Times on Procrastination.  

"Quiltcrastination, suggests a new study, is an evolved trait that probably served humans well in a time when finding fabric and fending off other quilters were job one, and time spent working on lofty goals for an indistinct future was sure to result in an early demise.

The inclination to defer unpleasant but necessary tasks appears to coexist intimately with the trait of impulsiveness!!!

It's not surprising then, that psychologists have long noted that impulsive quilters are highly likely to be quiltcrastinators, and that quiltcrastinators are very likely to be impulsive!"

It makes sooooo much sense!  No wonder I have so many UFO's...I am both a Quiltcrastinator and Impulsive!!!  Both my word of the year, "Quiet" and my oath to try and not internet shop at least until June (at which time I will reevaluate) have helped both my impulsiveness and my UFO pile.

Are you also a Quiltcrastinator or an impulsive quilt shopper???

Now for the winner of this great pattern donated 
by
 Fabric Stalker Julie...
Nancy P.!!!  email me your mailing address...


and you'll be able to make this fabulous quilt just like Julie!


The book review of the week is "Still Life With Bread Crumbs" by Anna Quindlen. At first I was surprised at how light this book was...I found myself skimming over the orgasmic encounter between the 2 main characters...same 'ol, same 'ol.  But, maybe it was because the main character was a 60 year old woman who was still finding out who she was...and, maybe it was the idea that in life, no matter what age...you keep growing and changing that I ultimately enjoyed the read.  No movie this week...but, I do know that HH and I are headed to the movie this weekend!



Have a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I am both!! Thanx for the diagnosis, I have always wondered about myself. Now I can tell my husband it's a medical condition, not mental! D.G. L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impulsive? Check! Procrastinator? Check! Quiltcrastinator? Double check! Am I working toward my goals of whittling down the UFO pile? Check, and mate! There is a wonderful stack of fat quarters at the shop where I teach, and I've kind of promised myself that I can get it once the 6 pinwheel quilts are off to the longarmer. I'm also thinking that I need to plan a "retreat" of some sort so I can get my BOMs underway. Well, one of them is--so there's a start at least. I just need to be able to work on them without distraction--good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how the quilt looks in a stained glass idea, really makes a difference. We have a nice day coming tomorrow so hoping to get out for some hiking.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete