Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Lovin' Bertie!

Here we are entering the last week of February!!!  Holy calendar Bat Man...how did that happen!  What I do know is that my commitment to not internet shop the first 6 months has been an eye opener!  Not only where my pocketbook is concerned but how I feel emotionally.  Who would have thought that this commitment would open up a pile of revelations about myself.  Life in the command center is much more relaxing without packages arriving by mail.   And, there is a real sense of control and contentment as I chip away at the piles around here.  

I have already finished the 1st Bertie BOM!  This is what students who actually had their homework ready on Friday for class on Monday must feel...I decided to do a little fancy stitching on my leaves...and to use different colors of green for the leaves.  If you look at a tree...the leaves are never all the same shade of green.  I also didn't like how the little nest looked and so stitched and clipped some gold pearl cotton to look like bits of straw.


Because I know that I am not going to like all the wool selections provided in a BOM I save all my little scraps from previous projects so I can be a little more innovative.  I save them in gallon plastic bags and when I am looking for a variety of greens I dump the bags and ALWAYS find something just right!


I already have the next months block prepped!  I didn't like the neon colored wool that was provided for the flowers and so did some wool diving into my scrap bags.

I generally don't follow the instructions to the letter but am always looking for easier short cuts.  Rather than prep and stitch the center first before piecing the border...I pieced the border, attaching it to the center before attaching the motifs.  This way I can center the pieces perfectly.  Then I applied SF 101 a Pellon product to the entire back to give it stability.  I sewed an 1/8th seam all the way around to further strengthen the flannel and prevent stretching.


Today I head to Woolies...and will begin stitching on Bertie #2!  Hope your Tuesday is filled with stitching.

16 comments:

  1. Very cute! Congrats on staying clear of that internet shopping. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing everything I can to avoid buying more fabric too and this is a great idea! Love your Berties!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking of doing the centers in wool - my BOM (from the Fat Quarter Shop) is all in flannel. I was wondering what to do for backing-thanks for the tip about the Pellon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the wool better. I am using the flannel for the backing with the Pellon SF 101 to stabilize. I like the look of the wool on flannel better!

      Delete
  4. Are yu going to make one large quilt or have them as mini quilts. I haven't decided yet and have to find a local supplier of the flannels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found with no buying in place that I shopped my stash and was always very happy with the things I found. Granted I can no longer name "collections" on site and don't know where the newest things are in the shop but perhaps one day I will be able to put all the fabric in ONE room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is a real gift to have fabric in one room :)

      Delete
  6. Oooh..I love them Anna! They are simply adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL - and if you were truly organized, you would separate those bags by colors! (ducking so you don't hit me!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time sure is flying but it just means spring will be here sooner;) Love your little birds, they are so fun. I never did that with my big wool quilt, maybe that is why it stretched and came out wonky, lol.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the decorative stitches on the leaves. Thank you for the stabilizer idea. Keep on rollin'. : )))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll second what you said in the first paragraph! I started with the same goal as you... no shopping, just stitch on stash... and arrived to the same conclusion... you never really realize how much time (and perhaps anxiety) all the "stuff" arriving in the mail causes... unpack it, dispose of packaging, find place to store what just arrived, find TIME to stitch on what just arrived... and finally... what else do I need to order to complete what just arrived? lol! Yes... sitting and stitching and seeing beautifully finished projects is soooo realxing! :-) Your Bertie's are looking fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those comical birds...Where is the pattern for them from as I've never seen them...? Great stabilizing suggestion...they are cute as a bug!

    ReplyDelete