Friday, February 28, 2014

Help me...Help the World...

Today's blog is about "help"...on many different levels.  First the movie review of the week is a documentary by Tom Shadyac, director of Ace Ventura, Liar Liar...and many other comedies.  After a life changing event he did some inner and outer searched for a documentary called "I Am" which focused on 2 questions..."What's wrong with our world? And, What can we do to help it?"  It is very thought provoking and I give it 5 stars!  I was able to get it through Netflix.  Since it has become an international movement I am sure you can find it at several different venues.  I continue to read "Unbroken" and am on the final few chapters...if books were rated on a star system...this one would get 5 stars also!  


I cried help and Robin came running!  Truly a friend indeed!  June Jaegar of Log Cabin QuiltWorks sent out an email to announce that those students who have taken her class "Best Friends" can enter their quilts in a group exhibit during the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show.  Poor Enzo has ended up on the UFO pile although he was almost done because I couldn't get past the fact that I didn't like how his nose looked.  When the email came out Robin called and asked if I was going to enter Enzo...if so...she would enter Brim.  After all, they are best friends.  I cried HELP and she came to the rescue!  I know that the quilt is not supposed to be an exact detailed reproduction of the photo but the nose just didn't look right.  Having no real art background I was stumped.  Robin figured out what my issue was (she is a quilt therapist) and the problem was solved!


While we worked away the boys hung out, napping and bugging us for treats.  Good thing I keep a dog biscuit jar in the command center.



I loved this photo of Brim because he looked like he was praying to my sewing machine...until he looked my way, lol

The class was amazing and is being offered at Quilters Affair again this year.  You start with a photo, blow it up to an 8 x 10.  Send it off to June Jaeger.  She then she blows it up and draws an enlarged paper template.  In class you reverse trace it onto tissue paper and then the fabric constructions begin.

...and then you end up with a quilt of your best friend!

Have a great weekend!  I have an wonderful slide show for you on Monday!!!

16 comments:

  1. I love your Enzo piece and so fun. I still have my self portrait to fix and finish, didn't like some of the face features but will have to do what I can and be happy with it, but it is fun to experiment and try new things.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enzo you're one lucky guy! And you match your carpeting!!! Love your quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah we picked the carpeting out to match Enzo, lol...he is a lucky dog but so are we!

      Delete
    2. Do you ever step on him? Not intentionally of course but I can't get over the match to the carpet!!! Great to hide the dog hair if any! I love your blog! Thanks so much for all you share!

      Delete
    3. he is pretty darn good about anticipating my every step :) I love writing it and am glad to be connected to the greater quilting world...quilters are awesome people!

      Delete
  3. WOW! Just AMAZING ! Congrats !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, makes me want to get another dog just to do this project! So special :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great projects! I love both Enzo's and Brim's portraits. It sounds as if the show will be amazing, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is wonderful! what a great portrayal of Enzo! Wonderful way to start my morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great photos!
    Enzo is stunning!
    love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute--Enzo is really stylin' in that hat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anna, congrats on following through and making Enzo look like the lovely lad he is. You will have a great time quilting him which will add another new dimension to him.

    Enjoy your time away this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun is that! I have a dear friend who would love a quilt of her dog - she is truly her best friend. And I love your pincushion on your machine. (Your machine looks a lot cleaner than mine!) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful to have moved past his "what's wrong with his nose?" stage!

    ReplyDelete