Monday, January 27, 2014

With Gratitude...

I am playing catch up on my life...or at least my blog life.  It is with gratitude that I live each day and because of that it seems I am living more ups than downs :)  

I had heard that the East of the Cascade Quilt Group that is based out of Sisters was going to infuse life into itself...so, I decided to check it out.  The co-chairs taking on this task were Liz, Barbara and Candy...maybe dividing the responsibility will keep things in tip top shape.  The word must have gotten out because it was packed!  Filled with fun "give aways" and quilty sharing.  Although I missed out on the email that said to bring your first quilt...it was fun to see the variety and stories behind the "first" quilt.  And, then Barbara was the guilds first featured quilter.   So the slide show will be a cross over for both.

The featured speaker was a local from the Wounded Warrior Project.  His story was compelling and you could have heard a pin drop as he shared his story.  9 different hospitals...a quilt in each one waiting for him.  I know every one...and I mean every one has either been touched personally by war, knows someone who has been lost or who has come back not the same person who went.  Please meet Brett from Sisters with the Wounded Warrior Project and consider helping those who make it home but continue to struggle.  The war is not over for those who make it home physically.

Also Island Batik  is is supporting Operation Homefront and is promoting a quilt challenge.  Fabric can be purchased at the The Stitchin' Post

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
This photo slideshow made with Smilebox

5 comments:

  1. Great quilt show and I do like the shirt quilt. I have been saving my husband's jeans and some other types of heavy materials in pants and shirts, so need to get going on a layout for them.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!! THOSE are FIRST quilts??????? WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna it sounds like you've found another great group to be a part of. Share with us your first quilt please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First quilts from 1959 onward...Wow! How fun! Colors and complexity of patterns do change over time and now the modern quilt movement is tweaking it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made my first quilt back in 1963, when I was expecting #1. It's long gone--it was a gift for a friend and not terribly good! It's fun to look back at the progress we've made (or not) though!

    ReplyDelete