Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Thank You

I wanted to start today's blog with a heart felt thank you!!!  For all of you that have been traveling this journey with me and for the new readers who are in for a wild ride, lol.  

I have been trying to develop a 2014 strategy for my quilting life.  One of the best ways is to look at friends around you and see what they are doing...after all why do all that thinking when you can let someone else figure it out and just copy them!!! LOL.   There are the "die hard UFO people" who have sworn off purchasing anything new...no way can I do that.  There is the "do one UFO, start one new project" quilters...hummm, tempting.  Oh...and then there are those who are throwing caution to the wind and just buy, buy, buy.

Where do you think you fall in the quilting spectrum?

What I do know is that to embrace my 2014 word "Quiet" I am going to have to keep the drama, stress and judgement down to a dull roar.  I have always...and I mean always been a last minute person.  Whether it was cramming for exams or going on a diet just before the party...but, no more.  From now on one of my goals will be to finish a project at least a couple of weeks before it is due...now mind you, I am soooo far behind that it will take me a while to fully reach this goal.  At least number a 1 deadline is done and it is 3 weeks before the birthday!!!!  I have to tell you...I never knew how good it feels to be this smug, lol.  Aren't these pillow cases adorable!


My other goal is to empty some project boxes.  And I love how my friend Lori is methodically working her way through her project list.  Which for first...get those Buttermilk Basin mats done...they are adorable and I now have 6 of them done and 2 prepped and ready to stitch!!!  It is a wonderful feeling to be completing stuff.


Once I get a little more organized this week I will be switching out the UFO Flicker site on the banner so those of you who want to post can.  We did fabulous last year!  And...Blockhead Day is coming up...more about that later this week.  Have a wonderful hump day!

16 comments:

  1. good for you!
    think I'll have to see how you "do" quiet.
    I need lessons in that.
    grin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year I had "resolved" not to buy anything new until I finished what I already had... epic fail... lol.... so, THIS year, I am continuing to finish what I have started, but being very... ummm... selective? on what my new purchases are. Sure, there are boatloads of fabulous designs I'd love to stitch... but, since I've learned how much time is put into each piece (technique)... I've learned to ask "Is this piece (when finished) going to be worth the time I need to put into creating it?"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say that and then I see something in a store, it is an addiction, lol. I have the snow guy and the crow spool ones, so those I need to do.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right now I'm a very frustrated type of quilter, with half my supplies and most of my tools still in storage--why did they have to paint those storage bay doors on the day I went to get my stuff? I'm afraid that once I really get set up it will be another year of oooh shiny! as I try to get caught up with everything. Oh well--motivation, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE those pillowcases! My goals for 2014 is not to buy any yarn (unless I really need it for a special project like the blanket for my granddaughter) and no new books. So I am trying to only use what I have in the house.....read the books I have hoarded or get them from the library....we will see if I can make it a full year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the black and white with pink pillowcase,

    I bought two of those Buttermilk Basin kits when in Houston. The Snow one and the crescent moon and owl one. I thinking might have to get two more, for Spring and Summer as I have Winter and Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those Buttermilk basin patterns. They are on my list for when i have extra money some year. Hope you are able to finish some UFO's's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess I am falling into the buy, buy, buy category right now. Hopefully this will pass soon. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried "Nothing new until I finish my UFO's"... then Midwinter Reds came out!!! LOL I have several wool projects that I want to prep; makes it easy if they are ready to pick up & stitch. I do like your goal to finish BEFORE the deadline. Love those pillowcases!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where do you think you fall in the quilting spectrum?

    Five years ago I was the buy buy buy gal. It was great fun and I have some beautiful fabric and some not so beautiful fabric. LOL. What I no long have is a checking account that will support such behavior.

    So I am mostly doing old projects - still do not finish much and still want to do bed size quilts. Have started shopping my storage locker as there are dozens of boxes of fabric to rummage through. I still like most of the fabric. You have me thinking that the fabric that does not appeal any longer would be good to "cul". Problem is what to do with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the thing is I LOVE all my accumulated projects and know that I want to make them....some day. As for fabrics that need to be culled...I either cut them up into useable pieces, as in 2 in., 3 in. and 5 in. squares for future scrap quilts or I donate them. :)

      Delete
  11. I think I am somewhere in the middle of that spectrum. I don't buy like crazy, and I am not crazy enough to say no buying! LOL Your pillowcases are very cute! It reminds me that I have some to do too. ;-) Have a happy evening!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the philosophy of finish two and start one. I was making great progress that way until my sister gave me all her UFOs and stash in April! Should that count?

    ReplyDelete
  13. It does feel great to get UFO's done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm in the middle, trying to get things done and not break the bank. Having a deadline certainly helps, and the ufo challenge really got lots finished here. Here's to a quite and productive 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love those little mats--I bet they are fun to work on! Stacy's designs are so cute,

    ReplyDelete