Followers

Monday, January 13, 2014

Girl On Fire!!!


It was the perfect weekend!  The weather was rainy and snowy...and oh the wind!  But, what's a quilter to do on such a blustery weekend???QUILT!!!!


First and foremost on my mind was my 2014 plan.  Now, anyone in the business world will tell you that you need a plan...but, you must also be flexible and open to change.  I started off with organizing  and picking up my sewing room. And then, inventory was taken.  I received many suggestions about the 2014 quilting life and it seems all of us are on some kind of journey this year.  With that said I embraced the concept of making a list.  I decided to ONLY list those projects which are already bundled with the fabric to complete them.  This list did not include my quilting dreams or patterns I want to make but ONLY those projects which are already bundled or kitted with the fabric to make them.  As you can see my list is long...oye vey...once I made the list I sat on the floor of my closet...looking at my stash and I brought up my 2014 word...QUIET.  I silenced all the voices of judgement and hysteria!  Then I looked at my list and understood that I loved all these projects, there was not a one...I did not want to make...that was good.  


After making the list a second goal came to mind.  I recently had a conversation with "someone in the know" in the quilting world that all of our local quilt shops and here I am also talking about your local quilt shop...are facing the same challenges that the local bookstores faced years ago.  How to remain viable and healthy in a big box/internet world.  Years ago my very favorite bookstore 1st Chapter Books in Bend closed once Barnes and Noble opened.  And, Barnes and Noble is struggling along with Borders and the like because, of the internet.  I do know that because of location many are dependent on the internet for shopping especially when looking for a specific piece of fabric.  BUT, one has to consider what all this internet shopping does to the brick and mortar quilt shop?  And with that said...I have set a challenge for myself.  This year I will set a goal to only buy fabric from shops I can walk into!  It will be Brick and Mortar  Year for me!

I liked another suggestion of finishing 2 UFO's before starting a new project...and, as you can see by my list I have many new projects waiting to be started.  My intention is to only buy fabric that is needed to complete a project I already have such as backing, binding, borders and the like.

I have to say up front before I came to this plan I had already signed up for a one BOM and purchased one Valentines project.  So my plan begins today!

I also decided after the list making that I am going to postpone my Blockhead program and again do the Flicker 2014 UFO to encourage as many of you as possible to finish up those UFO's and share your accomplishments with us all!

When picking up a piece of fabric needed to complete a project at Sew Many Quilts  I tried to talk myself out of buying this book!


But, I feel in love with this quilt!  I am going to try and make it out of my stash!!!  But first to finish 2 UFO's!


This Girl Was On Fire this weekend...and decided I needed to get going on my Tula Pink Club at The Stitching Post.


Jackie, club moderator suggested cutting out several blocks before sewing and boy has that ever helped the progress!


I was able to finish a Valentines apron request for my DIL.  This is my all time favorite apron pattern.  Not only does it really show off favorite fabrics it is very slimming...and I need the illusion, lol.


And my first UFO of 2014 completed!!!  I made this wall hanging 2-3 years ago and then it languished in my top drawer.  I was stuck on the quilting.  The first thing I did was Google envelope quilting method and found a great tutorial on Red Pepper Quilts.  The only thing I did different was use fusible batting so I didn't have to pin :)


Then in keeping with the modern quilt movement I kept it simple.  Chalking one small Tsunami design and then using straight lines for the rest!  Easy Peasy!  


So, as you can see...I am a Girl On Fire!


14 comments:

  1. So then it was YOU that made that orange glow along the western horizon! lol! You certainly made a fabulous start on your goals for 2014! I should follow your lead and adopt some of these guidelines too... definitely with the LQS as much as I can (even though the closest one is an hour away)... the Reindeer quilt is gorgeous! Iffin I had a machine to do the blanket stitching, I'd be making that quilt right along with you! I'm assuming the letters are all raw edge fused applique? Anyways... you GO girl! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a plan and something you will enjoy following to keep you on track.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna, did you tape your list to your fabric closet door? I think you need a cork board so you don't mark the finish.

    Great idea, your wall hanging is lovely love the straight edge contrast with the curved quilting.

    Your new book looks interesting. Congrats on your progress so far.

    Your snowfall looks lovely. We've had 7 days of rain and wind, not rain yet today and the sky is starting to look a bit brighter. Fingers crossed for some sun today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa!!! If that video does not inspire staying on WW I don't know what will!!!!!! And, yeah! I was all set to dive into the Blockhead idea when you mentioned the continuation of UFO's...grand idea girl! I, too, have already committed to a monthly project and don't need extra pressure. Thanks for the re-focus! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute apron pattern and fabrics! I love aprons. :-) I really like the colors in your wall hanging and the quilting is perfect. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good on you for taking stock and making a plan. I intend to do the same before the end of January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #1 is have a plan...that is the easy part...now to implement! lol

      Delete
  7. Just because you are not going to start any BOM or new kits or what ever, it does not been forever, just for this year or for six months, etc. A while back I told myself no more block of the months for a year. I am not one to keep this sort of restrain on fabric buying but some how once I quilt looking at all the BOM they fell by the wayside. And and now I only have two months to go on the last one..... you know what that means..... soon I can consider a special BOM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, nothing is forever...especially in my world, lol one of my personality quirks is everything is special!

      Delete
  8. You go girl! Keep it up and I hope to do the same! I am making my list as well, planning to keep a notebook nearby my office (my chair) at all times. I plan to cross off and make a new and improved list each week to keep me heading towards the goals I have set! Best of luck with your list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. At least you have great quilting weather--here it's been in the high 80s during the day, which doesn't exactly say "stay inside and quilt" to me! However, I am making baby steps to get my quilting area set up and have actually been trying to finish up some WIPs. As an employee of a B&M quilt shop, I say hurrah for your resolution to support them! I will say, though, that our shop and many others does online sales as well--so don't overlook them when you need something special! (Of course, where you are, you don't need to worry, but others don't have that many stores nearby!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, you have quite a list, but also a great plan too! Love your plan to only shop brick and mortar, there's getting to be less and less.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds like you have a great plan for the new year.

    ReplyDelete