Thursday, November 21, 2013

Succumbing To My Inner Toddler

Boy have I ever been in the "toddler zone." That place where I only want to do what I wanna do and if you get in my way I will lay down and kick my feet while squealing!!!  With this mind set I have been moving forward on several projects.  It reminds me of the end of year schedule in the Operating Room.  You would think that with the holidays piling up in November and December that the census in the OR would be down...but in fact...it is crazy!  Everyone trying to get that last procedure before the end of the year and a new deductible kicks in...I think...it is the same for me and quilting, lol.  I feel the compulsion to finish a bunch of projects so I can start new ones!!!

I finished this UFO using flannels by Valori Wells Kennedy.  The problem I ended up with was that I didn't have any flannel left for the binding.  I decided to try something a little different for me.  I brought the backing around to the front folded it over and stitched it down by machine!  Took me less than 30 minutes to tack this binding down!


You would think that with all the UFOs, WIPs and PIGs I wouldn't begin a new project...but I got all excited when I saw the Gail Pan project one of the MG's was working on Monday and decided I just needed to start one!  This book I picked up at Quilt Market is filled with wonderfully cute Gail Pan designs.


It was hard to decide since all the projects are adorable...but I decided on this little quilt.  Used Transfer Eze to transfer the pattern to my fabric and I backed the fabric with Pelon SF 101 to give it more stability.  It also lets me cross the threads from point to point without seeing it through the front.


This time of year I am reading as much as I am stitching.  With the temperature dropping (it was 11 degrees this morning!!!), and potential snow on the schedule I love to sit with my candles lit, the fire place burning, a nice cuppa coffee and a good book.  My sister met the author, JoAnn Hormak of A Delicate Bond at one of her girlfriend gatherings...the book is about female friendship...and, the delicate bond.  It is found on Amazon and if you have a Kindle, only $3.99! What are you reading now, any book recommendations???...now, back to being a toddler!


11 comments:

  1. Anna my mother used to "bind" all of her everyday quilts that way! I'm rereading Diana Gabaldon's series "Outlander". There are at least a half dozen books in the series. It has been a few years since I read them and since I hadn't read the last one I am rereading so I can remember how she got to that point in the new book. Make sense? Anyway, with my memory like it is it's almost like reading them for the first time. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG...I feel like a toddle some days too. I wanna do what I wanna do and that is stitch. I get this little tantrum going when I have to fit in cleaning, cooking, even shopping if it for anything other than fabric. Luv those Australian designers. Wishing you a happy, tantrum free day. Happy stitching, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won the gail pan book, lots of cute projects. I like the little elf but not enough time for a big project, so I made him into a tea towel, hopefully I will be done by tomorrow.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done that binding as a finish on quilts before, but I mostly recommend it for wall hangings and such. It doesn't wear as well as a traditional binding under hard use. It does finish up fast, though! I'm so looking forward to being in my new place where I will be able to set up my stitching chair and have a fire and light candles in the evening! Right now it's all boxes all the time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Were you happy with the binding finish you did by machine? What type of stitch did you use?
    I'm reading Gone Girl and find it addictive. I do base reviews on the whole book (including the ending) and I'm not there yet. So far I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes life is just so good... enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am reading The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty. Many people in the office are reading it and that makes it fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm listening to, "wild" by Cheryl Strayed. Inward and outward journey hiking the Pacific Crest Trail on her own. Read by Bernadette Dunne who has appeared on stage in places like the Kennedy Center and Woolly Mammouth in Washington D.C. For some reason i got a kick out of that did you? Good book.
    Toddler Zone sounds like a productive place. I think i'll try it out tomorrow . . thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely adding the Woolly Mammoth to my bucket list! and Wild to my reading list! hope you have a wonderful holiday season and that lots of patterns are flying off the shelves!

      Delete
  9. Your little quilt is wonderful. Have you read any books by William Kent Krueger? He has a wonderful series and 2 independent books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not...but am going to add him to my list! Thanks!

      Delete