Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Speech, Speech, Speech....



I was asked by a friend and fellow quilter..."What are we going to do with all these projects????" The tone in her voice had a little bit of concern...judgement for herself...and, I could have heard a little bit of OMG.  So, here is it...I have given up that part of my quilter conversation.  I don't care how many projects I have or how many quilts I make!!!  I LOVE the process of taking fabric and turning it into something wonderful.  It doesn't matter to me that I don't have wall space.  What I do know is that I can rotate quilts on the wall for the seasons or just because.  I do know that when I find out someone in my life might need a quilt hug...I have one to give them.  A new baby on the way...lets see which one would be prefect.  The result of this change in thinking...I don't have many quilts lying around...I have released them out into the world like children...and there is real joy in knowing that I had fun making that particular quilt or using that fabric line.  So there...that is my speech, lol.  I hope you are not over thinking the quilt joy in your life!

Today's slide show is the student work in progress from the Contemporary Folk Art Workshop.  It is amazing the variety of creation.  Some students came with works already in progress.  Others, like myself came with a blank slate.  I encourage you to step outside a comfort zone and sign up for an in depth workshop...it is amazing what happens on day 2 or 3!  Enjoy!

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a free picture slideshow

10 comments:

  1. Yes! Amen to your speech! Overthinking is a "buzzkill!"
    Thank you for inspiring creativity! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Everything is wonderful...beautiful colors and stitching...and oh those cute little bees and ladybugs. Yay, for us Overthinkers, you have set us free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing those lovely pieces.love your Eiffel Tower focal point.

    Everyone's pieces are coming along very nicely. I love all the different themes that people chose. Can't wait to see how your and your friends pieces progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean, but I still need large quilts for my house, so I still need more and I love making gifts, so most of the smaller things that I make, go in a goodie box for when I need gifts.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's how I feel exactly! Thanks for saying it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geeze I needed that SAME speech last week...it's these people who don't quilt!! They just don't get it!!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Anna, you've struck a chord with me. I've spent most of 2013 overthinking my passion (quilting, stitching, etc). There's been very little accomplished this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good! That was just the pep talk I needed! I spent a few yeas buying quilt kits (wool and/or cotton) and plenty of patterns (quits, cross stitch and rug hooking)... for awhile I got so overwhelmed looking at them and started to sell of lots of it (knowing I'd never be able to finish them all in this lifetime) lol!... now, I'm just going to keep what's left and stitch on the one I'm in the mood to do that day and enjoy every stitch! :-) Who cares if I have 20 started... or never really finish them all... let's just relax and enjoy the process! Why put deadlines on a hobby... Thanks a bunch! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a thought-provoking (and liberating!) post. You made alot of good points, and I am embracing every single one!

    ReplyDelete