Friday, July 12, 2013

The Scoop on the Oregon Summer Quilt Expo 2013

Anne of Cottons 'n Wool and I met at the Deschutes County Fairgrounds for the first ever Quilt Expo.  Since it was the first one there has to be a little grace given...but, the organizer of this event has a huge learning curve.  They did an excellent job on procuring a venue...our fairgrounds is a class act.  The vendors were also EXCELLENT!  A wide variety to interest a cross section of quilters.  I enjoyed the entire vendor mall, leaving a chunk of change behind and hope you will make an effort to check it out.  An event of this kind will only enhance our own quilting community and hopefully bring even more quilters to the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show! Which is the most amazing event on earth!  

So where did the organizer miss the boat?  For one thing...there was a fabulous Route 66 quilt which was stuck up in an out of the way place...that quilt should have been front and center with a large poster board explaining about the creation.  Advertising was minimal...yes, it is year one...and hopefully it will only get better and better...but, it was basically empty.  I heard over and over from people who stumbled on the event that they had the hardest time figuring out how to register for classes...and...Where were the buses???  I only hope the vendors at least make their cost this year and come back next year.  I love that Central Oregon is the best place on earth for a quilter and would love to see it continue to be a mecca for those in love with fabric!  

Enjoy the slide show and if you have a chance take a gander to the fairgrounds...you will not be disappointed in the vendor mall.  The quilt displays...well, they still need a little work.  I'll be back here on Monday with the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show slideshow...and I know you will be amazed!

PS.  for those of you wondering why you haven't seen my project from June Jaeger's class...I have Enzo's body and neck done but he is headless! lol  I just couldn't show this work in progress...but, soon you'll get to see what I am up too! 


Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Slideshow design generated with Smilebox

14 comments:

  1. OMGosh!! This Vendor's mall looks FANTASTIC...I might have to rethink going back to the Sister's Quilt Show!! WOW!! So sad that the mall wasn't advertised better...I hope the vendors will hang in there for next year...I'm glad that you are spreading the word!
    P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Paulette, this is something that you should come down for.

      Delete
  2. I wish that I had known - this would be worth the drive!! Thanks for the show...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, it goes until Sunday so there is still time.

      Delete
  3. I did attend the show yesterday and came back with some great goodies. What a beautiful fairground and I thought it was a great addition to the weeks events. This is my first year to cross the mountains to come to Sisters. I plan to take the bus on Saturday to Sisters and I have tried to spread the word. I hope the quilt show does get the word out and continues. Every year I am sure it will just get better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this Expo advertised once, but was turned off because the admission is $12. I'm sure I would have spent more than $12 if I would have gone. I wish it was free. I would have gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of wonderful quilts and always fun to check out the new shows.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was there yesterday with 3 friends, we spread the wealth among numerous booths that sold wool, valdani threads, and primitive patterns/fabric. Wish I had emailed you so we could of met in person, maybe next year. We then went to Material Girls shop and the quilt shop in Terrebornne (loved their CW fabric), stopped at Sister's quilt shop, ate dinner in Detroit and on home to Dallas/Salem. Was a long good tiring day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I could have spent some serious cash there! Thanks for the slide show. I hope it gets super busy for them too. Some of those quilts were so beautiful -- very inspiring. I agree with Cakers -- the $12 entry put me off from going too. Hey, it's a yard of fabric... Love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Penny, Thanks so much for a wonderful review of the Show......for those that want to come next year, this year they had a $3 coupon and the entry fee was for all 4 days........

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a fun show. The entry fee's to these shows keep going up. The MAQF is $18. Rent is ridiculous I guess.

    On another note, I just caught up on a few of your past posts. I'm moving to the west coast. Y'all just have way too much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow it looks like it has tons of potential....what fun...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boy Anna, that was a completely different experience for me today. It was a ghost town and very few vendors even tried to make conversation with me.

    The gal from Reets wasn't there and the gal covering ignored me.

    The best booth was Wild Hare Fibers, they were amazing and lots of fun to talk with.

    I wasn't sure where it was after walking around Sisters for three hourse and went into the Pancake house and asked a waitress, she gave me a $3.00 off couponsnd I was shocked to find out it was still $12.00 to get in. In Chicago I only paid ten dollars and they had several hundred vendors, not just 50.

    But meeting you and the material girls was the best part of my day. Thanks for the lovely brunch along with the show in Sisters.

    ReplyDelete