Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Evaluation Time

I realized that it is Evaluation Time!  Since I no longer work for an organization which gives me a evaluation I have decided that I will give myself one every 6 months.  Evals are about the good, the bad and the ugly.  I want to use this opportunity to see where I have been and where I plan on going.  I had an opportunity to hear how my "excited about everything" personality, Labrador Retriever brain...I want to do, see and experience it all...doesn't always work for those around me.  I think it may be time to rein it in a little...not commit, volunteer or join everything that looks exciting...for myself and those around me.  I also am looking at how I spend my quilting time.  It seems since I gave up the day job I am less productive...what the hey is that about.  Those of you who are retired...are you getting more quilting done or less??? 

What I am feeling good about is I have week 1 of the Temecula BOW done!!!  Isn't that Dresden plate just the cutest! And I checked my mailbox and block 2 hasn't arrived!  This is what it must feel like to be on top of a project. :)


Talking with my friend Lori today...we started dreaming about how we want to approach our huge desire for new projects and completing what we have...yikes it is a daunting.  What we need to do is work on Halloween and Christmas projects now...which means a re-evaluation of the summer quilting projects.  What are you working on...right now???  A summer project...or a Christmas project???

I also forgot about my Monday...book and garden report...so you are getting it today.  The book I am reading is "Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls" by David Sedaris.  I have definitely had some laugh out loud moments...and...no way moments while reading.  He is not everyone's cup of tea but I have been a long time fan of David Sedaris.  As for gardening, %^&* it was supposed to hit freezing last night...come on, it's JUNE!!! All right, already...I don't want to see the 30's until December! 

The Woolie slideshow is always a fun one...after all, I am partial to wool...duh! lol

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Personalize your own picture slideshow

13 comments:

  1. Great stitching on the Temecula Week #1! I'm starting mine tomorrow... I've got about 4 BOM's started, a cross stitched pinkeep and a wool runner at the moment... and, just signed on for Primitive Gatherings pieced BOW too... *grin* i love it ALL! I do tend to stitch the current season... though I can always be in the mood for another pumpkin... lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those blocks and the fabrics, that is going to be beautiful.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just finished a wool Primative Gatherings Snowman mat - the one where their woolens are hanging on the line to dry. Sometimes it is a little overwhelming.....so many projects, so little time. Now on the a "summery" wool hand stitchery as well as my BOM (5 blocks left) Oh, and need to reorganize and kit up projects so I don't feel so overwhelmed....course, then the Des Moines AQS show is in Oct......ok, I need a 12 step program!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am almost retiring in Sept. cutting down to 4 days a month until year end and then done completely.. I'll let you know how productive or unproductive I become. LOL

    Right now I am working on non seasonal quilts and wall hangings. But I have so many projects I want to do that I can't seem to piece/quilt fast enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you were to allow a 'peer evaluation' from me I'd say you're doing a fabulous job with your retirement. Stop stressing about what you're not doing (I'm pro at that) and just enjoy what comes everyday. A day at a time, Anna! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your enthusiasm and your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was just discussing with my Seattle friend Marie about the "oooh shiny" approach both of us seem to have to new projects. I'm trying to get more done, but it's hard! Also, just a reminder to be gentler on yourself, sillykins: you just moved house, and that is a gigantic undertaking no matter how much better it makes things! I do think being "retired" makes it easier to take breaks and focus on all the things we could/should be doing instead of smelling the flowers...

    ReplyDelete
  8. No wonder Sandy (NOBLOG) doesn't have time for a blog...she never sleeps and only sews. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to say after 4 years of retirement I think I'm doing less quilting! Maybe because when we were working we knew we had a limited time to do it and stuck to it! I'm trying to buckle down and do more now, Anna! I just finished a July 4th project and haven't even begun to think of Halloween or Christmas - yikes!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the idea of "evaluation". I have had 8 years of unemployment and just have a wreck of a house to show for it. In two weeks I move to retired so with an evaluation every six months I might actually move forward and live life. Too, there has been an untimely death this month which has the brain thinking.

    Sewing: Pillowcases and potholders for wedding gift baskets... doable fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The blocks are adorable! I have my week one of Primitive Gatherings BOW done and I'm waiting anxiously for block 2!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What? You mean we can't buy it all and do it all? Geez, that's really disappointing!! lol!! I look around my sewing room at all the books, patterns and fabrics (and BOM's) and I love them all!! Well....I can dream can't I? I just got my first BOW from PG on Monday but I've got 4 of my grandkids for the next 5 days. Oh no....I'm falling behind already and I just started!! Your BOW are so cute....love the fabrics. Good luck with keeping up!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would definitely say I'm making more quilts...But it's because I've moved into doing more machine piecing and quilting. I completed a hand quilted quilt last year and called it my last one. It took 15 years! And this year I've already made 2 quilts!!! Thanks for reminding me about Christmas...good thinking!

    ReplyDelete