Thursday, April 4, 2013

Masterpiece Drama



Although there is no quilting going on right now and I am not starting anything new...I still have a burning desire to stitch.  Something simple, easy to pick up and put down at a moments notice.  Thus I have finished stitching my Redwork sewing machine by taking a few stitches every evening while resting my aching back.

So you ask where is the drama???  Well, you know I am the Transfer Eze Queen...which means whenever I am done with a piece I have to rinse it well in cold water.  Guess what happened?!!!  The red Aurafil thread bled...as in massive blood loss all over my white background!!!  Yikes!!!  After all that work, to have it bleed to death!!! NOOOOOOO!  Someone call Quilt 911!

Here is the tip: should you wish to take this mission, write the tip down, secure it to memory and then eat the paper you wrote it on!!!  As soon as I saw the bleeding which was about an hour after I rinsed it I immediately threw it into a tub of water...enough to cover the piece.  Then I threw in 3!!! dye magnet sheets and left it over night.  I couldn't believe it...no bleeding!!!  Then I rolled it up, rung it out and immediately dried it with a blow drier before it could bleed again!!!  Pheww!  I loved this piece and am so happy I was able to save it's life!

Back to packing, moving and trying to be calm...so many little things happen in a move.  The fridge is dripping water, the clothes dryer electrical outlet won't work...ahhh, you gotta love new construction! lol  If it wasn't for HH I would be pulling my hair out.  HH reminded me that Enzo gets anxious when I start screaming, lol.

10 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience with blue thread bleeding on white when rinsing out Transfer Eze. Wish I'd thought to do what you did. Luckily it wasn't so bad that it ruined the piece, but still the blue tint is there. :-( Your redwork sewing machine is adorable. Your stitching is wonderful. I'm so glad you were able to save it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know what the Aurifil thread did - Yikes! I always worry about fabrics and hardly ever use white as a background for that reason, but I always prewash all my quilting fabrics with Synthrapol and haven't had any problems. But thread! Will definitely need to get some of those Color Catcher sheets! So glad you were able to reclaim your piece - it is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What weight Aurafil did you use? Very valuable post...thanks Anna!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the worst and have had it happen to me too.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awful! But I'm so glad you were able to save it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna , I am Alex from Aurifil https://www.facebook.com/alexveronelli ,
    what you got is not " fading " , when a thread bleeds it loses its original color, also when a thread bleeds the color there is no way to remove it from the fabric as it brings with all the dye stuff that will fix it on the fabric… gosh forever , so if you will ever see a thread that loses the original color will be pretty hard to remove the stain …nearly impossible .
    If instead it keeps the original red ( in this case ) means that the thread did not released its color but was just an over charge of colorant dust deposited on the thread surface that left the fiber and went on the fabric , in this case the dye stuff will not fix it on the fabric so with a second wash all the stains will go away …. ( could even take a third wash if the stain is huge…but keep washing it will go away for sure ).
    My suggestion is to wash at 60 ° ( 140 F ) for 90 minutes , Your soaking solution seems made the same, good.
    The over charge of colorant release is pretty common in cotton textiles and it's not considered a defect . Do not hesitate to contact me for further informations or questions http://about.me/alexveronelli

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice of Alex to come here and explain the difference~ you really rate! :-) I'm glad it came out for you~ your sewing machine is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad you fixed the problem..I hate it when things like that happen.. my ole heart can't take the panic stress like it used to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great save of the sewing machine embroidery work! YIKES! Ya, some of us need those mellow types of guys to keep us centered...Carry on girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute project...did you do this free style or use a pattern? I hesitate to write and ask this now because of your time filled with moving but maybe you'll get a chance to answer some day when you get your life back.

    ReplyDelete