Monday, April 22, 2013

I Like You Just The Way You Are....

One of the wonderful things about moving is that you discover long lost treasures.  This quilt is a very special one I made several years ago.  It has been folded away all these years but now holds a special place in the bedroom we are setting up for our grandchildren visits.  

I made this quilt for HH in memory of a time in his life when he was a "stay at home" dad.  We had decided to move to Oregon.  But, our youngest was only 5 months old and I couldn't bare the thought of him going to day care in a strange town, in a state where we didn't know anyone.  So, I agreed to move if HH would stay at home.  It was easier as a nurse for me to get a job.  These were challenging times for HH to go from VP to HH (house husband).  He did a fabulous job!  Back then there were very few "stay at home" dad and it was lonely for him.  When I would come home from work he would greet me at the door and tell me where Mr. Rogers went that day...and always add..."he likes me just the way I am." The hard times always seem to bring the best memories.  After a couple of years he was ready to get back to work.  Our baby was a toddler and our oldest was starting middle school...but, we will always remember our Mr. Rogers time.




I carved our initials in the tree trunk with thread.


There was always a castle in the puppet show.


Remember Mr. Trolley?


The garden


...and of course, Mr. Roger's red sweater!

HH and I are getting closer to be finished with the move...about another weeks worth of work.  Yesterday we moved the garage...OMG...start purging now if you plan on moving in the next 10 years!!  Today we take the UHaul back and then this week we are faced with a dump run, donation run and Patty (my scooter) goes in for a tune up before moving her out to Sisters.  Needless to say, we are beyond beat!

17 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt and what a wonderful treasure!! A few tears (mine) with this post! Now I know what HH stands for - I had all kinds of thoughts trying to figure that one out (hee-hee).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely design Anna, did you come up with it? It should be in a definite place of honour in the grand children's bedroom.

    My brother was also a Mr. Mom, to four children under the age of four, a set of twins and two older siblings. Take a bow HH for a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was there when you made this darling quilt! I have thought about it many times, that little red sweater, So Sweet! I have a photo of it and have shared it with my friends many times. So glad you brought it out to share with your grandchildren! They will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a wonderful quilt and a wonderful memory. I am doing some cleaning and found something I must have started 20 years ago, lol. No idea what I was thinking, but not something I will finish;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a special quilt. A friend of mine has a sister that lives in Mr. Roger's neighborhood....well, where he lived used to live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely adore your Mr. Rogers quilt. What a treasure!!!! You are an extremely talented quilter!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Synthia, on email you are a "no reply blogger" so I hope you get this heart felt Thank you!!!!!!

      Delete
  7. That is an adorable quilt. And what memories to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful quilt made from amazing memories. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Relax and have a glass of wine! Loving Mr. Rogers...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Mr. Rogers quilt is great! The story that goes with it is special special.

    Now on this move thing --- I have looked at stuff in my house for 15 months knowing 1/2 of it has to go and nothing has gone - a couple of hundred magazines and 150 books just don't count. I am thinking I am going to have to actually make the move first so I get between a rock and a hard place to motivate me to let the stuff go.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mimi, you are a no reply blogger so I couldn't email a response but wanted to reply to your comment. Thank you! All I can say is...it is better to start now. with that said I know I would be doing it the same way if I ever was going to do this again, lol.

      Delete
  11. I really have gotten a lot of things moved on...but I'm still swamped with "stuff" to decide about!
    Mr. Rogers was a wonderful part of my kids' childhood. I was lucky enough to hear him speak at a convention of nursery school parents, and he was wonderful. Your quilt is absolutely fabulous and really does capture the spirit of the Neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet story and quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved Mr. Rogers...he came on TV at 4 o'clock everyday...time for the kids to mellow out while I made dinner!! Oh how I loved and appreciated that man!! Thanks for the memories!! What a wonderful memory quilt!! Mr. Rogers would have appreciated seeing that one!! Loved the story that went with your quilt!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great quilt and I congratulate your husband for staying home those years to be a stay at home dad , such a wonderful thing to do and I am sure wonderful memories for him and your children .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anna, you made me all teary eyed...what a WONDERFUL QUILT...and your grandsons will love it....and I always thought HH stood for Hunky Husband. :o) You two are truely blessed.

    ReplyDelete