Saturday, January 5, 2013

Saturday Brings A Little Bit Of This & A Little Bit Of That!

I don't know about you but the New Year always brings with it a whole lot of renewed energy and a real desire to clean up my act...on many levels.  I know for a fact that my friend Lori doesn't have a bit of candy in her house...and I, am cooking again!

Today we start off with my latest new kitchen gadget...an OXO can opener.  Granted I don't use a lot of can goods but when I do they create lethal weapons!  I discovered this little gem in the house we rented at our last Fabric Stalker retreat...no! I did not take it home...but I did go out and buy myself one!



It clamps on perpendicular to the can, then you just turn the knob.


The lid then just lifts off!!!!  Absolutely NO sharp edges!  I am not kidding, it just lifts off...somebody's mama is proud of their offspring for designing this gem.


The result was a wonderful crockpot of 5 bean chili! This will keep us warm!


Robin and Lori stopped by to chat and stitch.  Look at this adorable wall hanging that Robin made!


I asked Robin to come over and help me tackle one of those hurdles that I wanted to jump over.  Cross stitch on linen.  I love the look of cross stitch on linen but for some weird reason could not wrap my mind around what "over 2 threads meant."  If you remember LAST year I stumbled upon a real cross stitch store in the Portland area and purchased some projects on linen (remember this is the year of the UFO).  She was able to teach me how to do it!  Did I ever tell you that when I first moved to Oregon that Robin taught me how to cross stitch...those were wonderful times.   Here is a photo of my first linen cross stitch project...so cute!


I had to show you the beautiful scarf that Lori is knitting.  The yarn is so soft and the colors spectacular.  I have no idea how she keeps track of all those threads!


Well, I am now heading to the Free BJ's Mystery BOM 2013...wish me luck, cause I don't have a clue what I have got myself into!

10 comments:

  1. That looks like a handy opener, I need something that is easier to turn and actually takes the lid off. Great new projects to start and I can't wait to see what your mystery will be. I need to go cut some wools for my next project, but I had to clean first;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok you get good at that cross stitch thing and when I come in May you can show me how. I don't get it either - totally frustrates me and I know it can't be that hard. I love those linen cross stitch pieces and want to create them. Love the can opener - such a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  3. That can opener is really interesting. No sharp edges, huh?

    So how DO you cross-stitch on linen "over 2 threads?? I like the project that you are working on!

    Definitely good luck with the Free BJ's Mystery BOM 2013. It'll be fun to see what your first BOM looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy chili - what time should we be there? LOL

    Oh, I cross stitched over two threads on linen for more years than I can count - you're going to LOVE it. I can't see it anymore :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I were there, I'd join you at the BOM!
    Enjoy your day and that chili!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your mystery!!
    I am trying to start a cross-stitch myself, its been many years and I can't remember yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Pampered chef also has a can opener like that!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That opener works like the Pampered Chef model. I love mine! Looks like you had a great day! I got my DD's quilt half done! Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I received the pattern you so generously sent me...MANY THANKS!
      BOM again...I could never keep up with you Anna. Signing up and making that committment to the UFO challenge is as much as I can do. :0)

      Delete
  9. Cross-stitch on linen is my favorite! Helps if you have a kit, though, because they will make sure the linen you use is a true evenweave--not all linen is, as I've learned! Robin's scarf looks like the pattern one of my Ravelry groups did--a Traveling Scarf. We each cast on and did two rows of the pattern, then sent it on to the next person on the list. The long tails make it self-fringing--I need to make another one!

    ReplyDelete