Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A Day to Ponder...

New Years Day brought with it a variety of emotions.  I am entering a new year without my mom.  In the last year and a half I have had to put my big girl panties on and keep moving forward...but, New Years Day brings a poignancy because in the Korean Culture New Years Day is a BIG holiday.  The family always gets together and the children all bow to the elders in the family.  The elders give little red and gold embossed envelopes with some money tucked in...and a special soup is made.  My mom used to laugh so hard when as an adult I would try to crowd in with the kids and bow to her so I could get an envelope! LOL  With just HH and I, New Years Day was quiet...I spent some good time in the Woolie Command Center but I couldn't shake the feeling that this year wasn't going to be the same if I didn't make the special New Years Day soup...Theokguk.  By making and partaking of this soup your year will be one of blessings.

you start with rice cakes



a little beef broth, green onion, seaweed, sliced beef, pepper and cayenne pepper.


yummy tasting and more than that, I feel like mom is smiling down on me waving my envelope!


With 14 people already signed up on the Flicker 2013 UFO encouragement I decided to pick out my first UFO.  I had one that just needed a binding!  Got that whipped up!  This week I will attach it and then tack it down.  I also spent some time working on my Crow Gossip...did I already tell you how much I love that project! lol


I had to show you a coaster that a girlfriend gave me for Christmas...isn't that the truth! lol


11 comments:

  1. That looks good, I love soup in the winter.
    I will figure out what project to start first, thinking about my cats and dogs blocks, something I started and need to add sashing, etc, and something I can't mess up, lol.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. All your UFO needed was binding?? Wow! That's going to be an easy one to knock off!! I think that I'm going to choose to do..... (you'll have to go look!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the coaster! Looks like my poor cat has a cone permanently. Food allergy, and he just can't seem to leave his ear alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like yummy soup Anna...and there is nothing better than soup in the winter. I've just joined your 2013 UFO Flickr group and I've got lots of those little b@%&gers. I still can't believe I'm the lucky winner of "At Home in the Woods" BOM. Thank you sEw much. I'll send you an email with my snail mail address then I will start stalking the mail lady. Have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soup always seems to bring memories of home to me. One of my favourites is Dutch split pea soup, reminds me of my Dutch grandmother and my mom. My other favourite is turkey soup from the Christmas turkey leftovers.

    Your soup sounds delicious, I'll be over shortly for a bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a pop of soup on the stove today - beef, barley and vegies.

    Anna, your mom is always smiling down on you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lost my mom 15 years ago and there are still days of disbelief. I think most days that she is smiling down :) Glad you are doing binding for your first ufo. I also have a quilt to bind and thought that would be a good first. Do need to get it going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still miss my Mom too, but the memories get sweeter as I go along. Feb.11 will be my boy's 20th birthday, it will also be 10 years since she passed. All us kids were gathered around her, I had my arm wrapped around her head, my other hand holding on to her. You don't forget but you always love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I invited myself to your Flickr group and am now preparing a blog post to go with the pictures I just took. There's a story to these quilts, I'm finishing them as a legacy to a very dear friend, and I really do need to FINISH them! (I think they are destined to be charity quilts--I will give them to her husband when they are done.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember my first year without my mom - very hard. I don't much like being the matriarch in my family. :( blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  11. I lost my Mom on New Years Day 11 years ago. It doesn't seem to get much easier as the years go by.

    ReplyDelete