Saturday, July 7, 2012

Iron Chef???

Yesterday my sister, BIL and two other couples who were friends of theirs arrived in Bend.  Since everyone was traveling from a far distance I invited them to dinner.  I know some of you know the history of my cooking skills...so it might seem a little crazy to invite 3 couple from the gourmand capital of California to dinner...wine and good food is what Napa is all about.  Here we tend to throw some meat on the barbi, blend some margaritas and call it good.  HH always and I mean always, thinks it is dangerous for me to make a menu up that includes nothing that I have made before...what can I say...I walk on the wild side...and, I am part of a scooter gang...which means I am born to create chaos!


Dinner was a success...Everything I made came off my Pinterest site.  Started with my favorite Castelvetrano olives, Cambrazole and Brie Cheese with rosemary/raisin crackers.  Main meal was Honey Lime Chicken Skewers, Parmesan grilled green beans and Caprese salad.  Of course this meal was complimented by a nice variety of wine from the Napa Valley brought by the guests!  To top the meal I decided to make something refreshing and light...Meyers lemon pudding with Mt. Bachelor cookies from Le Margie bakery on Bond Street.  I couldn't believe how easy and how great this pudding tasted so for those who don't want to venture onto my Pinterest site...here is the recipe.


What I did not get done was my...homework...it's my sisters fault. 





Meyer Lemon Pudding
serves 6

3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 1/2 cups whole milk
3 extra large egg yolks, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons finely grated Meyer lemon zest (or 1 tablespoon lemon zest + 1 tablespoon orange zest)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice (or 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice + 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature

In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar and cornstarch.  Add the milk, egg yolks, zest, and salt and whisk until smooth.  Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently at first and constantly toward the end, until thickened.

Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the citrus juice and butter.  Place a fine mesh sieve over a large bowl and pour the mixture through the strainer.  Divide the mixture into 6 serving dishes and let cool to room temperature.  Refrigerate, loosely covered (tightly covered will trap too much moisture, making a watery pudding) for at least 3 hours and up to 3 days.  Serve chilled by itself or with lightly sweetened whipped cream.

5 comments:

  1. Lol I could just hear the conversation between you and HH about preparing a menu that you'd never made before with guests coming. I've had that same conversation with my DH several times. lol The dessert looks fabulous, and I appreciate your posting it on the blog. Thanks!

    Is that "sister didn't let me get my homework done", akin to "the dog ate my homework"??? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks YUMMY!! I might need to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a wonderful dinner and I am sure your guests enjoyed it. I can cook, but it always seems when I have company and want it to be perfect, then I mess it up;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! Sounds like you know how to do it up right! I've loved Pinterest for all the great recipes too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your night sounded fabulous, what a feast! I adore anything lemon, this recipe will be tried out here for sure. xo

    ReplyDelete