Followers

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Living Large...NOT!

I think I might have mentioned this before on the blog...but, after all I am getting older and that allows me the opportunity to occasionally be a bore and repeat myself. LOL  Back in the day...as in the mid to late 90's I refused to throw any scrap of fabric away.  The leavings off of flying geese...snowball blocks...you know what I am talking about.  Perfectly cut fabrics in coordinating colors.  The result was piles of little pieces.  Thus, I became a Miniature Quilt piecer.  For a period of time I made mini creations, subscribed to Miniature Quilt Magazine (no longer in print) and was featured in two of their issues.

The design and quilt below I called Salt Water Taffy.  The finished blocks measure 1 1/4 inch!!!  I must have been nuts!



In a later issue I was featured with this little gem.  Sunbonnet Sue blocks finish at 2 inches...and NO I did not needle turn those little girls.  They are fused and button hole stitched.  I created little Yo yo's with antique pearl buttons.


I moved on from mini quilts, living large in the world of the big quilt until this last year when I started yearning for the little things in life.  But, I had given away all my little scraps.  Then Sunday I discovered the Sawtooth Quilt and blogged about it on Monday.  I just couldn't stop thinking about that little quilt.  I got up early yesterday morning booted up the sewing room lap top (hadn't been in there for a while) and took a look at the directions.  I decided to see if I could effectively make this quilt out of a 5 inch pack.


First with a cup of coffee on board I separated the pack into solid darker values and background pieces.


Out of 2 - 5 inch squares I could get all the pieces needed to make one star.  I changed the background directions from the pattern choosing to only use 2 fabrics for each star.  The fabrics on the right side of the photo are what was left over from the 2 - 5 inch squares with careful cutting.


The result, a cute 3 inch block!  How in the world I made a quilt block that finished at 1 1/4 inch is incredible.  I can only chalk it up to I was younger, better eye sight and not as cute as I am now ( not sure what cuteness has to do with it but hey, if you can't toot your own horn...right! ROFLOL


10 comments:

  1. Very cute,(slightly nuts), just cause its so small..LOL. the sun bonnet sue is adorable

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making small quilts, fun and fast and great practice.
    Love how you did that block, the print showed up really nicely.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to save every scrap and make mini's too! Love the star. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your little quilts. I have paper pieced one and now I am hand stitching another. With my fibromyalgia, quilting big quilts is becoming such a challengne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Love your little quilt! it is precious and...the girls with the sunbonnets are darling. I have said it before and I'll say it again...you are amazing! Love, Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, I remember your cute little mini quilts! I absolutely love the Sunbonnet Sue one! I still have the magazine that your little quilt was featured in! Soooo Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing....did you use EQ to figure that out? blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Anna - I am so impressed by your miniature quilts - just amazing that you did such tiny work! I love the adorable Sunbonnet Sue - a real treasure. Yep, we sure can't do what we used to do! LOL Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You DO have fun with those bitty things, don't you?? I haven't done a mini quilt, or even thought of them, since the 90's for the most part. I do, however, have a tiny box somewhere in my sewing room (it's being decluttered and is a mess in here right now) that are HST's made from small scraps. No plan, but I figured that I could do something with them eventually. lol

    ReplyDelete