Monday, January 9, 2012

Genius or Insanity??? You Decide!


My college roommate (we are now AARP material) sent me this photo of her latest creation.  OMG!  I am not sure if back in 1974-1975 I was living with a genius or, if unbeknown to me...a future insane quilt individual???  What I do know, this is absolutely beautiful!  She was such a studious roommate (cough, cough, cough) majoring in ??? anthropology I believe.  I on the other hand changed my major regularly. 

The reason she makes such spectacular quilts and I do not is that I am allergic to paper piecing and batiks...I have a doctor's note and an epi pen to be used if I should some how succumb to an anaphylatic reaction.  I even get a little short of breath looking at this photo.  Every year at the Sister's Outdoor Quilt Show I look for her quilts.  I don't have to worry about finding them or my allergies because I can never get close enough due to the large crowd standing in front of her quilts with their mouths dropped open!



Anyhoo, I guess I'll get back to working on my UFO's...none are genius material but insane...that is another question.




13 comments:

  1. I can not be an impartial judge of genius vs insane when it comes to batiks and mariner's compass'. I **LOVE** batiks, and about 1/3 of my stash is just that at this point. When I go into my stash to make a quilt other than Prim in style, that's what I head for first.

    As for the mariner's compass, I have one in my UFO pile. The compass itself is done, and I stopped while in the process of sewing it into the circular hole center of a square. Did I paper piece it?? Nope!! The quilt (Jinny Beyer's "Columbia" pattern) is the project that I was learning to hand piece on! lol I had the first 3 out of 7 lessons on hand quilting at my LQS, which was cancelled, and I put it in my UFO pile where we left off. Do you really think that I'm in a position to judge?? lol

    Paper piecing...I'm neutral on...if it helps to make the intricate or near impossible work better, I don't mind it. However, it's been a long while since I've used the technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops! The class that I made the mariner's compass in was a hand PIECING class, NOT a hand quilting class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!!!
    It's beautiful..I love paper piecing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your former roomie is a genius in my book.......in fact anyone who can paper piece I admire........cannot and won't do it - my excuse is that I'm a lefty and I'm sticking to it! Gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really beautiful piece, but like you, I do not understand why I would want to paper piece, lol. I will stick to my simple and naive projects.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely and incredibly intricate quilt! It reminds me of those antique maps that always had a star showing the way.
    And congrats on cracking 300!

    love, Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I look at quilts like that and just do not feel like I am even worthy to be called a quilter, that is just spectaular!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt. I vote for genius.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh is that ever incredible! I'm voting for genius.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Thanks everyone. I guess I'm either slightly deranged in a good way or just slightly deranged period. Seriously folks paper piecing makes everyone look like a genius. It can be a bit tedious but the results are worth it in my book. If you are paper piece challenged you must take a class from the master Carol Doak. Then take a class from Judy Niemeyer. You too can become slightly deranged in a good way. ;~)

    ReplyDelete
  11. well Terri...a quilting savant is only one fraction of who you are! I have lived with you and know the real truth! LOL What happened in Isla Vista...stays in Isla Vista!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL kiddo! You better hope so!

    ReplyDelete