Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Henrietta

Been thinking a lot about my approach to quilting.  In the past I have been like a kid in a candy shoppe, running this way and that way.  Sampling this fabric and that fabric.  Buying this kit or pattern or that kit and pattern.  Then I had a "come to Jesus" moment and reflected on what did I really want and need.  I became more excited but, in a different way.  I discovered handwork, applique, wool and embroidery. Being organized felt better and just because something is a "good" deal didn't mean I was going to like it or even finish it.  

This summer brought me more information about the quilter I am...Sam I am...green eggs and ham.  Yes, I went off the deep end.  The BOW's were all consuming and although I love them, they became more like a job.  I have been listening to little whispers of advice from readers and my quilt groups...and yesterday I did something I thought I wasn't capable of with my slightly compulsive nature.  I took down the Primitive Gathering BOW from my design wall.  I placed them carefully in their own project box and decided...to take a break.  When I went  to my BJ's Quilt Basket BOM last Saturday and suddenly realized that I am not behind but moving along with the satisfaction that comes from success...I decided I needed a little more of that feeling.

Looking around my sewing room at little piles, searching through drawers and projects boxes I came upon Henrietta!  Now that is one sweet project.  Anne Sutton of Bunny Hill Designs generously posts a free BOM every year.  Once the year is over then the pattern is no longer free.  Her designs are wonderful and always make me smile.  When I pulled out my blocks it became apparent that this could conceivably be a last minute two point dunk!  I could finish this project before the end of summer!  Today is going to be a quiet Woolies at QuiltWorks because several are away on vacation but I will be taking my Henrietta blocks!



Anne Sutton just posed Block 8 and I am close to being done with Block 4, Block 5 is fused and prepped for stitching.  This morning I will prep Block 6 & 7.  Hey, anyone who is working on Henrietta send me a photo of the blocks you have done!

13 comments:

  1. Good for you Anna for taking a step back and remembering that quilting is our hobby, not our job. Later on you will go back to the Primitive Gathering BOW and say "Wow, it's half done!" and be happy to be working on it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished block #8 and posted about it. I, too, love Anne's BOM-you'll be caught up in no time! Your right to take time and re-evaluate. have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. precioso , ya casi termino el mío también . felicidades

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats a Very cute pattern, can't wait to see it done, you will need to post a pic of it..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marian, you are my guru! I love the idea that I will be excited about my BOW! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooohhh Diane I am in awe! Send photos I would love to post to the blog for mine and everyone else out there who is slaving away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shirley, están haciendo la suya en lana o tejidos de algodón? Me encantaría ver una foto de los bloques!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ann, the pattern is free month by month on the Bunny Hill site. You could jump on board and create your own Henrietta. There is a flicr site for the blocks everyone is making and so you can see what fabrics and color scheme others have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good thinking Anna. I put mine in a project box last month. I know they are there and when I want to work on them I do! I actually started a new fun applique quilt. Also need to do Henrietta for this month. That is just one fun quilt to work on.
    Hope you weren't a lone Woolie today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. cool...I down loaded 1-8 and instructions..cant wait to try it...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sandy, I can't wait to see the new project! I forgot how much fun those blocks are...but now Henrietta is on my radar! There were 6 of us at Woolies and you were sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats Ann for climbing on the Henrietta train. Be sure to check out the Flickr group it is amazing the variety of Henriettas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. en telas de algodón, ya colgué varios bloques a ver si los encuentras , besos shirley

    ReplyDelete