Friday, April 8, 2011

Sandy, Has A Slice of Heaven...In Madras, Oregon

When I first embarked on this Woolie journey I not only wanted to share what was happening in my own quilting life, I wanted to reconnect to the quilting world outside the four walls of my own quilt room. I realized how blessed I was to live in this quilt saturated part of the United States. Quilters are by their very nature givers. Givers of time and heart. And, they were creating and sharing every moment of every day. I wanted to see as much of the goodness in the world as I could. To see that a beautiful quilt filled with love could be created at the kitchen table or in a beautiful quilt studio. No matter where a quilter creates, the quilts are always filled with thought and caring...whether they intended it as a gift or, just made it because they wanted too.

I took a trip to a farm outside of Madras, Oregon to visit a quilter who I so admire. Sandy is an amazing quilter not only in beauty but in the amount she accomplishes. Being a farmer's wife she works hard and moments are not wasted. If she has 15 minutes, she'll applique a piece down. It is not the amount of time one has to quilt, nor the space one has to quilt in...it is the consistency of moments and the love of quilting. She has been quilting since she was 16 years old when she made her first quilt for a 4H project. She calls herself the Moda poster child, as it is her favorite fabric line. Besides quilting, she loves embroidering and collecting antiques. Sandy is a member of the Prineville Morning Guild and the Woolies at QuiltWorks.

Her home is...well, it is HOME. When you walk in you feel the love and caring. Her attention to what she loves in her life are displayed in wonderful groupings of quilts and decor. The view is spectacular and when one thinks of God's Country...I think they must be talking about Sandy's place.
Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
A free picture slideshow by Smilebox

14 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning! Thank you and Sandy for sharing the pics of her home and quilts! I love those wool blocks...what pattern is she working on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh what a nice show. The scenery pictures reminded me of when we lived in Heppner, but all those quilts made me drooool! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know!!! She could put on a quilt show all by herself! She is working on several...and by several...I mean a silo load of quilts. I think Michelle you might be looking at the Bloom by Buggy Barn...but maybe she will get on here and be able to answer you question. happy quilting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margie,I am still wearing the bib I wore to her house! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks bunches Anna for coming to my house. Yes the wool pattern in Farm Fresh by the Buggy Barn. It is a block of the month from Primitive Gatherings. I reduced the size of the patterns by 25%. I thought they wer just a little too big. Oh, by the Anna, I have three sons, but I won't tell them you forgot one! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for doing this! What a beautiful group of quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Sandy, I feel like I got my own private quilt show! "My 3 sons!?" I wonder which one I forgot about? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your welcome Colleen...so many quilt rooms and quilts out there...so little time. I need to quit my job and just hit the road, taking pictures of quilts that never get to the magazines so the rest of us can see them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eileen, my sentiments exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous show! Sandy has to be the most prolific quilter I know....and she's even nice too. LOL (PS....I thought I was going with you!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH SHOOT! I totally forgot! I guess now we'll have to twist her arm for a lunch invite! Then we'll make her unfold and show us at least the top 50 quilts! Are you buried deep in quilt samples for Quilt Market?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Thank you to both you and Sandy for such an inspiring treat! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loris, she is the totally package, great quilter and nice!

    ReplyDelete