Tuesday, April 5, 2011

1998, A Fine Year For UFO's

When I was reorganizing a drawer in my quilt room I discovered a piece of muslin that I had embroidered 4 little scenes tucked in a pattern. The pattern date was 1998???!!! I realized that I had probably discovered my oldest UFO! But I am not putting any money on that because just as soon as I say it...I'll find an even older one! I got excited with the "find" because recently I rediscovered my love of embroidery. I set out to chose fabric and piece the top to my pillow. I was able to finish this process in Feb. and then embroidered the vine around the outside sashing. The project stalled again....NOOOOO...not again! I had to figure out a way to finish this project before another 13 years passed.

In comes a dear friend. Everyone should have a friend like this! If she is stuck on one side of a canyon, she'll figure out how to build a bridge to the other side. Lost in the wilderness with no food, she'd figure out how to make a meal out of pine cones. Need your windows washed because the rehearsal dinner is at your house, she'll show up with bucket, squiggy, special liquid and make them shine! And, yet again she comes through to teach me how to use my button hole contraption so I can make button holes on the back of my pillow...cause, that is what I want to do!

I am in heaven! I know how to make button holes! I feel the same as when I make something in the kitchen and it turns out! Thank you Robin!


My very first button holes!

12 comments:

  1. I need your friend to come to my door. Am embarrassed to say how many years I've had my machine and have tried several times to figure out the buttonhole thing and it's not happening. Love your finished UFO, but then I love embroidery!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margie,I can just see Robin, the traveling button hole teacher! lol I am going to blog a step by step "how to make a button hole" on tomorrows blog...it may not be Robin but it is one step removed! Thank you, I love the pillow so much I am going to do some more embroidered pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling pillow Anna! Isn't it wonderful to get our UFO's finished? Thanks for the great blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kim, finishing a UFO has the same feeling as losing another pound! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Colleen! Being an old UFO and still being called cute is pure luck. Most of my UFO's I say..."what was I thinking?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your new pillow! The embroidery is really sweet..and actually looks kind of familiar, like the pattern might be 'hidden' in my cupboards. I love the poem.
    Kind of scary to think that 1998 is 13 years ago...I think I've been avoiding doing that kind of math!
    Your friend, Robin, sounds like a very dear person to know! You are blessed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Loris! It is scary considering I only started quilting in 1994...and by 1998 I was already deep into the UFO's! Robin is an angel in my life, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That turned out great Anna. I know you won't believe this, but I have that same one, I put mine in a frame with some realllllly tiny buttons in each block.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandy, Of course you have the same thing! Great minds think alike! I bet yours didn't take 13 years to finish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anna, just catching up on the blog. What you said about Robin brought tears to my eyes! Especially the 1st line about building a bridge to you. Love that so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well Susan...there is nothing better than a great girlfriend who quilts!

    ReplyDelete